My Journey of Life

In the path of destiny, fulfilling heart's desires.

My Photo
Name:

I am a superstitious girl, walking in the path of destiny, fulfilling my heart's desires.

Google
 

Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Case of the Lost Cell phone

On Tuesday (5th September 2006), I lost my cell phone on my way to office. I got into an auto, a few steps away from my hostel.
I usually keep my cell phone in the pouch of my one-way bag. As soon as I got into the auto, and the auto travelled few metres, I realised my cell phone was missing. I went back to the place, where I got into the auto and traced my way back till the hostel. Within that time, somebody had picked up my phone and switched it off.

Fact about IMEI number
When one's cellphone gets stolen or lost, the most one can do is lock and de-activate his/her sim card by calling the service provider(BSNL, Airtel, Aircel, Hutch,etc.). In Chennai, R.K.Nagar(near Mandaveli) is the main office to go to do it.
Here again, mine was a Coimbatore BSNL number. So after going to RK Nagar telephone exchange, I was told to call up Coimbatore service centre (No: 94431 24365) and de-activate it.
Nothing can be done if you know the IMEI number other than that it will be useful to register police complaint. I called up the Nokia care (Ph: 30303838). They said it is just for their reports that they will record it. The myth that you can deactivate your phone using the IMEI number is NOT TRUE. IMEI number is just a unique number to identify your handset(for cases of verification like you are giving it in a service centre and getting it back).

How to register complaint without going to police station in person
This article says how to register a complaint for lost cell phone without going to police station.

About International Mobile Equipment Identity(IMEI) number by Nokia

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

really sorry for u!!
Got it back , by any chance??
so.. its time for a new phone :-).. take it that way!!
~Munch

Friday, September 08, 2006 12:58:00 am  
Blogger Fathima Sagar said...

Munch, it was a new phone. Not even one month old:-(((.How r u?

Friday, September 08, 2006 8:08:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad to hear that .. (was it red by any chance? That will be sadder)...
Thanks for busting the myth.

Hey, Did u file a complaint... Online or otherwise?

Friday, September 08, 2006 8:28:00 am  
Blogger smiley said...

u could try ringing it after some time, maybe there was no one by the phone. let us be optimistic :) i was lucky the guy who picked it up gave it to the security guy who returned it immediately. :)

Friday, September 08, 2006 7:49:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Smiley
Hey I remember your case.. it was a coconut seller right?

Saturday, September 09, 2006 10:37:00 am  
Blogger Vinesh said...

I lost my phone like this too - only it was in the auto itself. I too realised that the IMEI number is only hoo haa and nothing can be done to block the handset using it.

The a*s police officer asked me Rs. 100 to lodge an FIR.

Mine was a three month old phone.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 2:28:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine.. what happened ?? bought a new one.. eh??

BTW.. read my journal for updates and comments plzz :-)))

~Munch

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:00:00 am  
Blogger Parthiban said...

Poor gal! I think it is time for a moto!

Friday, September 15, 2006 12:30:00 pm  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

Regarding the IMEI number, that was a pretty useful read!!

Friday, September 15, 2006 4:51:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Q, and K, I am tempted to make a ... an... insensitive Joke about moto :).. I am letting it pass :)

Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:43:00 am  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

More than the phone, we tend to store all the numbers only on the phone and losing them is such a pain.
By the way, it pays to check this blog once a month or two! :-)

Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:40:00 am  
Blogger smiley said...

iris, first time coconut seller, second time security guy, must be a lucky phone :)

Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:24:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home