My Journey of Life

In the path of destiny, fulfilling heart's desires.

My Photo
Name:

I am a superstitious girl, walking in the path of destiny, fulfilling my heart's desires.

Google
 

Monday, January 30, 2006

History is not just history...

January becomes a special month, not only for the reason that it is the first month of the year, but also or more for the reason that I was born in that month.Do u know, the world-renowned Scientist Stephen Hawking was born on my birth date i.e., 8th (Just the year was 1942). So I successfully completed one more year in this world. It was my 22nd birthday. Was at home for five days and made my mom cook all that I liked.

Now before I come to the books I read in one month, let me tell u about the difference I felt between the writing styles of Kalki, Sandilyan and Vikraman.
Kalki, when he tells about a particular plot or secret, he doesn't reveal it soon. Its not easy to predict when the secret will be revealed. So I have to speed up expecting it will come in some forthcoming chapter.I feel so restless until I get the answer, which I have no idea where it will come up.
But Sandilyan, if he brings up a question, he gives the answer, at the most, in the next chapter itself. Vikraman also writes similar to Sandilyan. But I feel Sandilyan uses a more descriptive language - he uses that in describing everything but there is an opinion among the readers that he is very descriptive when he comes to the "Thalaivi"(heroine) in the novel. But I think he is as descriptive on other characters or places also.
As all these books are based on the true history and have used up the inscriptions as their basis, no book is a stand alone. We have same characters coming in other books too. So its like getting to know different views, angles or sub stories of the main history that has taken place.

Now the books.I will have to prepare an excel sheet to store all these. But here's the gist...

Kalika
A tamil book translated from Malayalam. It was about something similar to black magic. Dint like it much.
Kadal Pura by Sandilyan
This is about Ilayapallavan (Rajendra Chola's padaithalaivan), Kaanchana Devi(Princess of gadaaram, Sri Vijayam. Sri Vijayam is today's Malaysia), Gunavarman(King of Gadaaaram), Manjazhagi(Akshaya munai's princess - actually daughter of Jeyavarman, brother of Gunavarman). This book is about the battles fought in sea. A nice, descriptive book - u will feel like joining the navy now, if its still the same. While I was reading this book, Malathi auntie who was one of my hostel roommates was from Malaysia(She was basically from India, whose ancestors, few generations back moved to Malaysia). Added to that, she has read Kadalpura and is a fan of Chandilyan. I got to know about the different races of people residing there and about the gold there(as it was also known as Swarna Bhoomi).
Kanni MAdam by Sandilyan
Main characters are Aparajithan(Veerapandian's senapathy), Kaarkuzhali (a small kingdom's princess), SingaLathu PaingiLi(Thats how she is called. forgot her name. Poonguzhali???). Its about how Aparaajithan plots and how he crushes the influence of Izha naadu(Now, Srilanka) in Tamilnadu with help from Cholas.
Mannan MagaL by Sandilyan
The main characters are Karikaalan, Niranjana Devi,Raja Raja Narendran(born by the a marriage between Vengy Naattu raja and Chola princess), Chalukya king Jayasimman, Araiyan Rajarajan (Padai thalaivan under Rajendra Cholan) . Its all about plots and I came to understand what COMMUNICATION and DIPLOMATIC TALK means.
Gangapuri Kavalan by Vikraman
Main characters are Rajendra Cholan(Son of Raja Raja Cholan), Veeramaadevi(young wife of Rajendra Cholan), Raja Raja Cholan, Poongodi(daughter of Raja Raja Cholan and my favourite Inbavalli). This describes about NAtya Kalai(dance), the jealousy and rivalry among the wifes of a King, and how the Gangai konda Cholapuram was designed.

In all these, I find that even Princes and Princesses cannot marry according to their wishes. Especially in Kanni MAdam, Kaarkuzhali's marriage becomes the deciding factor for a lot of makes and breaks among the kingdoms.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i will finally be able to remember your birthday >:) cool! Stephen Hawking. I like him.

Swarna Bhoomi huh?
Since it was not in any books, why dont u write a post on the info u heard from auntie??(be a historian yourself! I would love to do that sometime.)

Kanni MAdam: Does it contaion factful descriptions of srilanka too?

why is history so full of war? Is it like the nature of the species to ensure that only fittest survive?? There by making the species strong?

>>marriage becomes the deciding factor for a lot of makes and breaks among the kingdoms.
Well...is there any kind of information on how the couple got along once they got married forcefully?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:24:00 pm  
Blogger Fathima Sagar said...

Iris,
Will write abt info I got from auntie.

Kanni MAdam doesn't have factful desciptions of SriLanka.

Its not fittest survive. Its bcoz of reasons like - revenge as their King was killed, the expansion of their kingdom, right to get back their kingdom, insult as the opponent King dint give his daughter in marriage to their prince, and on and on

Y do they have to get along. The King will live with the most compatible/attractive wife of his among the many wives he has.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:37:00 pm  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

If you can, read Sandilyan's "Yavana Rani" and "Manjal Azhagi"(if I remember this title correctly) too.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:12:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when u said it is not survival of the fittest, havent u proved just the opposite of that with your own reasons from the books?
Anyways, forget it.
Enjoy the books :)

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:55:00 pm  
Blogger Ananth said...

Belated Birthday wishes... :-)

Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:48:00 pm  
Blogger Fathima Sagar said...

Jinguchakka, thx for the suggestion. I will read them but ManjaLazhhagi comes in Kadalpura and I doubt if there is a book by the name. I will check it.

Iris, I will better enjoy the books and survive!

Anto, Thanks for the wishes.

Friday, February 03, 2006 6:10:00 pm  
Blogger Anand said...

belated wished fathi.. nice that i spoke to you on that day during the trip to bangalore... seems like u do a lot of reading... good...

keep writing....

Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:45:00 am  
Blogger Fathima Sagar said...

Thanx Anand Prabu

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:54:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Fathima ... dropped by to say hi ... and seeing the comments, 'Belated birthday wishes'

Thursday, February 23, 2006 10:36:00 pm  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

March vandhaachu. Adutha post podaradhu!

Friday, March 03, 2006 5:00:00 am  
Anonymous Balaji said...

I would like to suggest you to read Udayar written by Balakumaran published by Visa publications. About RajaRaja Cholan that how he bulit the Tanjai Big Temple.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home