My Journey of Life

In the path of destiny, fulfilling heart's desires.

My Photo
Name:

I am a superstitious girl, walking in the path of destiny, fulfilling my heart's desires.

Google
 

Monday, November 02, 2009

First week @Windy City

My first trip outside India was to the windy City Chicago - when I set foot, rather, when the plane landed the weather was good - unlike what was expected in September end.


Well this week passed on just trying to figure out the nearest grocery stores or supermarket and am still stumbling with my way to office. Well, one of the days last week, I wasn't sure of the way to my place and the cab driver told me "You ought to be familiar with where you stay, young lady".Because from a different direction, I cant recognize my own apartment.

Google maps is my second God here, without it - I just can't exist ...In India , I get lost anywhere, everyone around seems to know the direction. But here, I think people will tell me, why dont u check on computer?(well, computer is only google map here). I wonder how people survived before google and esp. google map came into existence. It would have felt like world without electricity.

And here everything is North , South, East or West, as the roads,blocks or the buildings are squares or rectangles. Coming to the food - that was the most difficult thing here - as I just cant eat burgers,pizzas, or, sandwiches (One of my colleagues even commented that I am not eligible to have gone to US then)and Chinese food here is pure chinese, not the Indian chinese. But found some pretty gud places.

And so far, people have already commented that my accent is more Austrian/German...Now, thats something!

Didn't start any sight seeing yet...

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous .Gokul said...

Hey congratulations :)

Happens to me too : not being able to recognize a place from different directions. Scouting, on foot, around a neighborhood helps.

You even speak Tamil with an accent. Come to think of it, it could be German ;) Have you ever recorded and listened to your voice? You may not recognize it.

You say chicago or Chicaagoo? :) May be if you are interested, talk to some one who has gone through an accent training and get some pointers... It might be fun.

Monday, November 02, 2009 6:41:00 am  
Blogger varun said...

Yawn..Tell me first..what are u bringing for me from US :-)

Monday, November 02, 2009 9:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Thanigai said...

Hey congratz! so now we can expect "Chicago exploration" series in ur blog :). I remember one incident happened to my friend in Dubai...she was new to Dubai. On that day in a shopping complex she was standing in a 'Q' for to get a cab to reach her guest house. Surprisingly here the people are obeys the 'Q' and similarly the cabs also will come one by one and pick up the passengers.After 30 mins standing she got her turn into the cab, thn while travelling the driver asked abt the place whr she want to go, she told the guest house name. Ah, thn the driver staring her with terror face and replied "u were standing behind tht hotel only. it will take hardly 10 mins walk.Oh! i w'd hav got a longer trip...u spoiled my day....(he started scolding)". So finally she settled the amnt wht he asked thn he went. So it w'd be better to hav the road-map of our area espicially whn in newer city. Ok have a nice trip and happy days!!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:21:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fathima...this is Sudip..just checked out your posts and I must say I am impressed...I liked the title "The case of the stolen debit card", looks like we have our own Miss Marple (a younger version ofcourse)
The post regarding your experience in Chicago is funny...keep on blogging..

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:36:00 am  
Blogger Fathima Sagar said...

Gokul, Thanks for congrats :-). Now I am pretty much familiar with the routes that I can tell directions to others...Well, abt accent I have no clue

V Jangidi, astronauts brought stone n soil from moon :-). Will try to get some from chicago if I find it

Thanigai, happens.... Will write abt Chicago explorations soon..

Thanks for visiting Sudip

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:54:00 am  
Blogger varun said...

Keep the stones and sand for urself..Find someone for me to marry and settle :-)

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:50:00 pm  
Blogger mamatha said...

hi fathima! remember me? the invisible log girl. :)

i just read that you are in chi-town. i am in minneapolis, not too far away.

i love chicago by the way. love! let me know if you need info about chicago. :)

keep writing about what chicago is like for you! would love to read it.

i am glad to be back into blogging!
http://manypiecesofmylife.blogspot.com

mamatha

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:23:00 pm  
Blogger Mohammed Abubakr said...

Glad to come across you blog...had nice time reading lot of stuff... keep blogging

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:38:00 am  
Blogger T Senthil Durai said...

hi
Your Blog is nice..
Keep it up.

regards
Senthil Durai T
Hyderabad

www.tamiladvt.blogspot.com

hyderabadmaanagartamilsangam.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:29:00 am  
Anonymous Thanigai said...

Hello Mam, Guess I added one more country in your blog visitors list (U.A.E =1). So you should give me a treat for that :)

-Thanigai

Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:27:00 pm  
Blogger CeLeStiAL PheNYx said...

Just be careful you stay away from the scary parts of Chicago. ;) If you are looking for scenic places, you should try the California coastline (San Francisco, Mendocino) up to Oregon. It's quite beautiful. California is known for being diverse for a reason! Most people here are familiar with curries, latkes, and pho as they are with burgers and fries! ;)

www.talyaraphaella.com

PS - But I hear Chicago has some awesome pizza. ;)

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home